Monday, April 20, 2015

The world is too much with us poem 5

The world is too much with us; late and soon,
Getting and spending, we lay waste our powers;—
Little we see in Nature that is ours;
We have given our hearts away, a sordid boon!
This Sea that bares her bosom to the moon;
The winds that will be howling at all hours,
And are up-gathered now like sleeping flowers;
For this, for everything, we are out of tune;
It moves us not. Great God! I’d rather be
A Pagan suckled in a creed outworn;
So might I, standing on this pleasant lea,
Have glimpses that would make me less forlorn;
Have sight of Proteus rising from the sea;
Or hear old Triton blow his wreathèd horn.

This poem talks about how we as people on this world have stopped looking at the beauty that is nature and worry more about that things that go on in our daily lives. The author of the poem thinks that the world is too much for us to appreciate and to enjoy so that is why we appreciate other things instead. He states that he would rather be a pangan that wordships other Gods so he could appreciate more of the beauty of nature. 
I do agree with the author of the poem because I believe that we live such a fast past life and we are so involved in our everyday lives that we don’t take time and “smell the roses”. There is so much that we are missing out in the world because of what we are focused on. The world is such a big place and should be explored and I think that is what the author is trying to say. He wants us to see that we are not appreciating “this Sea that bares her bosom to the moon; the winds that will be howling at all hours, and are up-gathered now like sleeping flowers; ” and that we have sold our souls to things that don’t really matter. I do believe that we should be more connected with nature and not ignore how beautiful it truly is. As I was reading this poem I thought about when I was in Puerto Rico and every night I would see the moon reflected upon the ocean and it was one of the most beautiful things that I have ever seen. And as I read this poem those were the times that I would think of and it something that I always think  about.   

No comments:

Post a Comment